Saturday, September 16, 2006

Of music and movies.

Lately I've been thinking of some great music moments in movie history, and how it has influenced us.

One of the greatest is 2001: A space Odyssey. Most memorably because of it's use of Strauss and the apes in front of the monolith, but also because it makes use of music in an incredible way throughout the entire movie.

Star-Wars is one of the most wide spread, I would say. Absolutely anyone can look up, imagine the giant golden letters, "Star-Wars", and sing the theme music in all its glory. That is aside from its many distinct themes and moods that are strewn masterfully throughout the movie.

The scene in Apocalypse Now where the air-cav flys into a hot landing zone blaring Ride of the Valkyries. No, the soundtrack wasn't blaring the music, the helicopters were. That's the best part.

More recently, V for Vendetta for its use of the 1812 Overture. Yes, it was so very typical and predictable, but it was so brilliantly executed and I couldn't imagine a better use for it.

I hesitate to call it music and part of the soundtrack, but Psycho introduced an incredable incidental sound for moments of suprise and terror.

I think Jaws also falls in this boat, although it qualifies as an actual soundtrack. People seem to remember it as a sound effect, though.

Mission Impossible and James Bond ought to be lumped together for the greatest mood music of its genre. Anytime anyone thinks of espionage or sneaking around with a gun, they automatically begins singing this soundtrack, if only in their head.


These are what I could think of off the top of my head. I'm curious to know what I might be missing.

4 Comments:

Blogger heidi said...

oh yes i always sing mission impossible when i pretend to gun someone down!

i mean.. not that i... do that often.

5:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA, Jaws....boat..

12:24 PM  
Blogger Paulvig von Cromptoven said...

You left out Lord of the Rings. Each place or person or groups of people have a theme and all those themes fit what they describe so well. The shire, the fellowship, the ring itself, and even the bad guys like Sauremon and Souran. The music in those movies captures the emotion so well.

Also, Disney's Sleeping Beauty. Can't go wrong with Tchaikovsky!!

6:26 PM  
Blogger Cyphoid said...

I was tempted to put LOTR up there, but I couldn't bring myself to. The music is awesome, don't get me wrong. I just don't think it is epic and defining enough in popular culture.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home