Saturday, November 26, 2005

On computer games

I don't play computer games quite nearly as much as I have in prior years. If I get a good single player game, I will play it through and all, but that is usually a one time thing for that period of time. Plus the fact that I don't buy many of them, unless they are big name ones. Examples being Farcry, the Myst series, MS Flight Sims, the Halflife saga, to name a few. I like to get maximum play out of my money, hence online games are a good path for that. Half-LIfe: Counter-Strike being a major one (Battlefield 1942 and it's [free] mods were a big one for a while, but I need to upgrade to BF2).

While the gameplay is still a major issue of whether I will play the game or not, it seems to have taken second place in my decision factor. And this is partially due to my simple philosophy about games, of which I am subject to. It states that the game, though its graphics and gameplay are vitally important, has a primary function of a realistic chat room. It provides a way to chat in a realistic environment, which is described by the game developers. I liken it to having a conversation over a game of cards with two other friends.

I have derived some of my greatest pleasure from spending hours and nights playing together online with a few of my gaming buddies. After you begin talking and playing, it no longer manifests itself as a blocky environment. It isn't you sitting in a chair and looking at a screen. You don't see the other people models as representations of people hundreds/thousands of miles (ore even 5 feet) away. You are there in the game. So are your friends. And you play and talk. Talk and play. Play jokes on each other. Have deep conversations (as odd and labored as it may sound). Even dance to music.

Writing this down, I feel like an absolute uber nerd. And nerd I may be, but I find this one of the most fascinating mediums to communicate in. In this one particular case, Counter-Strike, everyone looks relatively the same. There is no race, color, accent, size, weight, or hair to bias anybody. Everyone is on the level, and it provides a perfect base to work up from.

You would probably never realize the power of this ..... virtual projection of ones self into a gathering place unless you have experienced it for yourself. It is amazing to be laughing and having a good time with someone who is not right next to you, then sign off and look at the clock only to notice that 2 hours have passed by without even noticing it. In this, I have developed some of the best friends that I have. I couldn't imagine life without a stress relieving world that I dive into, and have my friends there ready to hang out and have a good time.


And if you still have problems with that, I could just go to the bar and have a couple cold ones...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really bad at chatting while I play. I need to work on that more.

1:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home