Sunday, April 16, 2006

Of nutrition

I, Andrew Anganes, am not a nutritionist, neither am I a manitologist (The study of manatees) but that is another subject. Being one who eats food, though, I feel that I know something about the subject.

What I want to address today is the subject of extreme dieting habits. This, and their effects on the human body. More specifically, their effects on my human body.

As many of you know, I had the opportunity to dedicate a week of my life to playing music for a bunch of middle schoolers. During this week was a time of unrest in my nutrition cycle. The schedule for my playing was on Sunday from 1:00-5:00, then Monday through Saturday, 3:30-6:30. Consider also that Sunday dictates church in the morning, then a rush to get to practice. Please take into account that it is about a 30 minute drive to or from the practice area. More, if there happens to be heavy traffic.

A basic analysis would immediatly see that on the first Sunday I wouldn't have time for lunch, and that dinner would come late. This was the kick and shock into the week's daily cycle. The result of this first day was basically hunger through until I got home, then a big dinner. The big dinner then carried over until breakfast the next morning. Normally I eat a rather substantial breakfast, so anything diminished is usually a somewhat bad sign.

Having done some schoolwork and warmed up on my violin, I would then proceed to run out the door, always being late. This would be preceded by a lunch at home. Lunches are never really a big meal for me or anyone in our house. I don't like lunch. It doesn't feel like it seats well in the daily pattern for some reason. So lunch is usually a not-huge holdover meal.

The result of this is that I would find myself a bit hungry driving from place to place and at the intermission times of the shows. This led me to do things such as buy Doritos, donuts, chocolate chips and some soda for the road. And, being hungry, I would eat to my fill (Like the old dieting technique always says, "Don't stuff yourself, only eat until satisfied". In my case, satisfied means full). Of course, the conclusion of this would be that I would eat less dinner, and have more Doritos in my stomach than real food. At least, the Doritos seemed more filling than I would have thought for the volume that I actually consumed. This pattern continued for the rest of the week until the last Saturday, where we went to Applebees during the interim period between afternoon and evening shows. At Applebees, I ate the chicken parmesan dish, which was served with a whole side of chicken.

This all doesn't seem so extreme, but the reason why I bring it to attention is because I lost 8 pounds during this week. Losing 8 pounds in a week is exactly the slogan that you see on all of those cheap looking late night T.V. commercials with people with big arms and in bathing suits, and I did it without even trying. And eating the way that I have always dreamed of eating as a child.

There are a number of of lingering peripheral factors that may be contributers, of which I can think of, that need to be addressed. First off, it should be noted that I probably got even less exercise than I usually do, which is saying a lot. That is, unless "sitting at attention" and operating a violin could somehow provided just enough continuous physical exertion to promote weight loss. Second, it must also be conversely considered that fat weighs less than muscle. So if, somehow, I managed to lose enough muscle mass to significantly contribute to that magic number 8, that scares me a bit. Thirdly, I tend to get stressed by a certain amount when playing new music or when playing with new people. That combined with the already very warm hall adds to the sweat and water loss factor. Sweating off the pounds, one might say. This would also lead into the loss of muscle mass.

In this case, it would seem that eating "healthy" and exercise are not the answers to losing weight. Rather, it appears that eating food with absolutely no nutritional value whatsoever to the point of gluttony, and drinking water, are all that is required. Filling the stomach with food that is useless except for it's taste will keep out desires to eat other foods that would gladly remain in the body. And the sugar content seems plentiful enough to provide the necessary energy for the day's requirements.


This must be the miracle diet: Eat Doritos, drink Coke, Two donuts a week. Repeat.

4 Comments:

Blogger nayrb said...

I am always heartbroken when my Mom decides to not make breakfast, lunch, etc, and I have to fend for myself. Breakfast usually isn't too bad, although. I usually skip it. Its when it is two meals in a row I am sad.

6:54 PM  
Blogger sj said...

Yessss....a diet that works!! Drewy, I think you've learned enough from past experiences to know that you should go public with this immediately. Otherwise, someone ELSE will get credit for your idea.

11:26 AM  
Blogger heidi said...

wow thats quite the diet!
i dont think i would have the discipline to stick to such a diet.

1:20 PM  
Blogger bofishie said...

Yeah Andrew I can't wait till you have a heart attack, or somthing of that affect

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home