Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Of Monitors

I have great sympathy and respect for my monitor. It is a very passive part of the computer experience. In an ideal situation, you never need to touch your monitor. It just sits there, sending light out to you. All day long, relaying information seventy times per second without break. And even when the computer is idle, most likely the screen saver will come on. Thus, rather than shutting it down and giving it a break, it plays a bunch of bad pictures that someone took of flowers, or lame sunsets, or someone's "aw3s0me 1ng4m3 scr33nz". So, even if it is a really masculine 21 incher, or a sleek new 17in LCD, if it happens to get stuck with some girly girl it has to suffer the indignity of displaying these things. And unlike harddrives, they have to openly show them to everyone. They cannot hide within the case.

Even worse still is the fact that they have no choice in the information they display. It could be showing good news for you, or bad news for you. And we, as spontaneous impulse-driven idiots, tend to take out our rage on the bringer of news. The metaphorical messenger.
Us humans would hate to inflict sudden strong impulse force on the case, because we know all of the expensive and fragile parts that are on the inside. Especially since we paid for them. And our "messenger" is still right in front of our face delivering the bad news. Unfortunately (fortunately?) for them, 21 in monitors are built very sturdily (I think I just invented a word).

I have dealt many blows to my monitor. Usually a right straight to the center of the glass. I've delivered a few hammer fists to the top and a couple left hooks to the side, but most are limited to the front, since that seems to be the place most likely *not* to break. It isn't that I hate, or begin to hate, the monitor or the computer itself. It is just a very convenient place to vent frustration.

I've felt some serious pain in my knuckles a couple times after doing that. At those times, it almost seems as if that 70 lb monitor is laughing at me, rocking back and forth and such. This is when I get the impulse to throw the monitor and/or the computer itself out the second story window. I will tell you that this has not happened yet. Although I have replaced my 21in with two 17in monitors, making it much easier to pick up and heave, so I will keep you posted.

It is for this exact reason that I keep a stash of old 1.5Gb harddrives that no longer work. I have come *very* (read with extreme emphasis) close to having to make use of. The plan is to take a Hdd, retrieve a sledge hammer, place said hdd in the middle of the road, put them both together (literally).



Monitors: The unsung heroes of the workplace, homeplace, bathroom, and of the world. I tip my hat to you.

8 Comments:

Blogger Mrs A said...

I love my monitor unconditionally and would never strike or abuse it.

5:27 AM  
Blogger nayrb said...

Yeah, but isn't yours a flat screen? Eh?

9:32 AM  
Blogger heidi said...

drewey, i decorate my monitor with cute little pink rose stickers and such.

1:42 PM  
Blogger Mrs A said...

Flat screens are special.

5:35 AM  
Blogger nayrb said...

That's my point, who would dare strike a flat screen? I'd probably want to strike the tower rather than that.

5:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs A would not be using a tower, those are so last millinium. Her compy is a cube...

8:49 AM  
Blogger Mrs A said...

Ya, all my kids think I'm uber cool......NOT!

9:44 AM  
Blogger Cyphoid said...

News just in, Uber is no longer cool. Do not use it. Rumor has it that it was ruined by a senior.

7:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home