Friday, February 04, 2005

Hail the Chief

On my desk lies a colorful piece of paper which is heavy from a number of other pieces of paper folded inside of it. Actually, it isn't really paper. It is that thick colorful plasticly sort of stuff that they use in magazines. For all of two seconds it looked like something interesting. Then the all-encompassing dark blue color and the eagle insignia in the corner broke it to me that it was a marine propaganda mailing. The kind that has those Q/A sheets with questions like, "When things get tough, do you face challenges head on?", or "Do you like to put yourself out there on the edge?". About the only thing that made me somewhat inclined to open it was that on the front page was located a small clip art of a pair of sunglasses and a hat with the accompanying caption, "Respond today to get your free sunglasses or skullcap". Again, I was consumed with obsession for all of 2 seconds. When was the last time I had a good pair of sun glasses? I think that was about 6 years ago when the grandparents thought it would be cute to get a pair for everyone. Somebody stepped on mine in short order. I have a second hand pair now which, of course, I did not buy. The faces are significantly scarred and make them rather distracting. The deal looked appealing. Send in this no-obligation-easy-to-fill-out-simple-convent form and receive your free sunglasses.
Great deal. Make sure to check out the bottom of the form: "Privacy Act Statement: The information you provide will be used for recruiting purposes only.". No, they won't sell my contact information to any mass telemarketing/spam company in China, but they will bombard me with propaganda until I am a fat panda and no longer worth anything to the government. What a deal.
Then again, I haven't had a cool pair of sunglasses for just about ...... ever. I have until 3/31/05 to decide, at least.

Today I received another envelope from the National Guard. Due to the picture on the front, I should sue for the theft of artistic concept. It looked just like my self portrait that I took of myself, minus Virginia (of course). What I noticed, other than the blatant plagiary, was the lackage of free complementary junk when I sign up for their free propaganda.
If I had to decide now, it looks like I'd join the Marines.

3 Comments:

Blogger Vanderganes said...

Be all that you can be in the Coding Reserve.

3:49 PM  
Blogger retromullet said...

AS far as im concernd the US Rangers are the only group out there. Forget the Marines.

Rangers lead the way!! (that the semper fie(fy?) of the rangers incase you were wondering)

10:13 PM  
Blogger The A, Mistah said...

That reminds me of the time my brother sent one of those cards back because he wanted the cool Marine Bulldog tee shirt iron-on that you got if you filled out the card and sent it in. Thing was that he filled it out with MY name. What an idiot. I got phone calls and mail for the next 2 years from the recuiting office. Every time they called, I told them I was not really interested in becomming a Marine (being both too fat and too uncoordinated), and to that they would always reply:
"But you DID send the card in, didn't you???"

5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home