Thursday, September 08, 2005

Drivers Ed: The Final Chapter

Drivers Ed is done with, completely. Period. No more. I finished my last road lesson on Wednesday. Admittedly, I was taking a long time, but still, it is done now. All I have to do is wait for my identity to get processed by The Man, and then go for my road test.

While the first two road lessons were a bit of a bore, they were not that bad, and were also informative. I mean, for the first lesson, the guy had me pull into a lot near the U Mass campus so that he could run in and talk to his adviser for a few minutes. He is majoring in Bass Guitar. He has a band and goes on sporadic tours. Go Jo ;). All I had to do was listen to some beats for 10 minutes on 106.3, Frank FM, then cruise around Lowell. Can't complain about that.
Plus, driving in a Ford Focus is a lot different than driving our Jeep Grand Cherokee that is as old as I am, to the month. The steering is nice and tight. You don't have to swing the wheel 10" to either side before it turns. And it feels like a light car, as oppose to the Jeep, that behemoth of a vehicle. Unfortunately, we no longer own the jeep, as it was sold for $100 to an enthusiast of the Jeep hobby. May you rest in peace. I hardly knew thee.

The last two lessons were interesting because I had the owner of the driving school as my instructor. He use to play in a wedding band, renovate houses, went to school for chemical engineering and computer science, and was a sales rep for a big time software company. You could defiantly see how he became such a good sales rep. He was grand and loud, deep low voice, always trying to be entertaining, and explained everything in a really long drawn out way, while talking really fast. And he liked to talk the whole time, which was good.
He took a smoke break when we made a drop off, and then had me pull into an ice cream stand so that he could have another smoke. Then he said, "I'll tell ya what, you can pick up whatever you want if you'll go over there and get me a chocolate frappuccino. As long as you don't get any in the car".
Free chocolate ice cream is the best tasting kind.
After passing another car from the driving school in which his brother was instructing in, he had me pull over. He took another smoke break while having a chat with his brother.
I found him very interesting, and he was a very nice guy. Anyone who offers me free chocolate ice cream is good in my book.

Oh, and since he owned the company and was a driver also, he decided to purchase an '05 red Mustang to use for instructing and to have the students drive around in.

Yeah, that felt good.

Probably the only time that I will ever drive one of those ever again, too. You get stares from all of the older adults on their front lawns, "A Mustang! Where were you guys 20 years ago!". Everyone, including the parents, drivers, students and onlookers get a kick out of it. It was definitely fun to drive.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, see, that's great, because the students can crash it and you get to buy an '06.

-sar

8:11 PM  
Blogger The A, Mistah said...

Well, given the amount of "free" chocholate ice cream I have provided you over the years, I figure I must be like, WAY OK.

8:06 AM  
Blogger sj said...

Hurry up and get your license...it's only 10 weeks till I come home, and I need a chauffer.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Cyphoid said...

Yeah, and you can get to see the new Kia Sportage.

It isn't quite as bad as it sounds, Cass. It is .... interesting.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home