Thursday, October 20, 2005

caffeine is not a drug. It is a way of life.

I think I hit the sweet spot. It was on Sunday. Sunday morning to be exact.

A little context is required. The Friday and Saturday nights before that Sunday involved me staying up until 2am and 1am respectively. Normally this isn't such a big deal since I generally get my eight hours of sleep regardless of when I actually go to sleep. On Saturday I arose after seven hours of sleep. Sleeping in until after nine usually brings an uneasiness that will wake me up, unless I am exhausted for some reason or another. On Sunday I had to be up for church, so there was no question about it and I got about 6 hours of sleep.

At this point I am about 3 hours behind. Normally I find that this window allows me to function, albeit at a slightly slower pace and possibly with a little fatigue and, sometimes, electric joy in the form of outbursts of laughing at stupid jokes. In any case, I had some coffee before church. The normal dose of a single cup filled as high as can be filled.

The whole church service I could feel my heart pumping in my ears at 100+ BPM and I felt like doing laps around the church a couple times and I felt like shouting out a couple of my opinions during Music Ed 101.

This is a documented effect with me. When I am short on sleep yet high on caffeine, I tend to cruise in this state of low mental activity and high energy output. But, it has never happened to me before to this extent. I thought that my heart was going to explode from beating so fast, and I was sure that someone was going to accuse me of Parkinson's disease from all my jittering.

I am not quite sure about how to explain this. There are only a couple of options, in my opinion. First, I think Mom had started mixing the decaf with the regular in larger and larger proportions every day, then decided to drop the bomb on Sunday. Second, I was drugged. Third, my body decided that it didn't have a tolerance to caffeine anymore. Fourth, everyone is in on a big joke on me and is laughing at this post right now.


EDIT: Mark, before you even consider typing it: No. I was not listening to "All Jacked Up" that day. And no, I don't want a copy of it.

2 Comments:

Blogger heidi said...

hm,
if you ever come visit seattle its going to be good times with drewey and espresso. i can see it now...

-heidi

11:16 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

I didn't fall asleep til four this morning and I had to go to church at nine. Luckily for myself there was a vending machine at the church that had happy Moutain Dew:Code Red.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home