Saturday, September 17, 2005

Old dogs can't learn new tricks.

But they can roll over and die.

What is it with these old computer systems and OSes still being alive and thriving? They are a pain to use, they are inefficient, and they make old computer sounds. They have more dust caked on their insides than there is makeup on a bus load of Hillary Duff teeni-bopper wannabies. They are filled to the hilt with 2.5Gb 2400RPM Harddrives and quad speed CD drives, so that when I need to format a drive and reinstall the OS, it takes an extra hour longer. Just to tick me off.

Those stupid floppy disks. I hate floppy disks. They are so wretchedly slow. It takes forty-five seconds to fill a 1.44Mb floppy with information. And the darn things go corrupt. I have a stack of about thirty of them, just in case I need to interface with an old crummy computer. I think about 4 of them still work. And that is if I prop the drive into just right position with the full moon shining on it through the window.

And, what is the deal with Windows 95 still being used? I can understand Windows 98, possibly. I can see that. But, 1995 was 10 years ago. The Internet was a baby, by public masses standards. Companies were fighting towards the 600MHz CPU mark. Memory was bought in sticks of 64Mb. Not to mention the fact that Windows 95 STINKS. It is barely an upgrade from Win3.1.
Steve Balmer offers sacrifices daily in order that people would lose their '95 CDs. Microsoft ninjas are dispatched every night to swipe them out of homes. And STILL it manages to survive. And get sent to me for repair.

I don't mind helping people out with their computers. Just like I wouldn't mind if someone helped me fix my car, or repair my plumbing. I don't do what they do, so I wouldn't know how to repair it. But I am working with antiques here. I should be regarded in the same ranks as those people who restore Egyptian mummies to their original looking condition. This is tedious work that requires hours of dedicated and focused concentration. A single slip up could result in losing a subject. It is no longer a science to revive these ancient boxes. It is a dying art.

Hey, I like the retro look of the old computers. I like the old style Windows interface (No Fisher Price style Windows XP for me). I dig the look of the old horizontal cases that you could place your monitor on. I like my DOS command line than any of the aforementioned. But that is all I like about it: The look. NOT the functionality. To make it clear, Windows 95 no longer HAS any functionality. When it takes 5 minutes to download your startup webpage over a dialup connection on a Pentium (1) 133MHz system, it is time to upgrade.

At the moment, I have on the list a Win95 box with a virus. I didn't even know that they still had viruses that could infect Win95.

And now, fireworks are going off in the next door neighbors yard, and it is 1:00AM. Oh well. Maybe I will get rich off of it someday, or something. I should start a museum....

P.S. And now my blog is getting a 404 error, and telling me to wait 10 minutes to publish my blog for "maintenance". sigh.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You fix old computers!?! Could you look at my C64!?

5:22 PM  
Blogger nayrb said...

Actually Drew, if you didn't mind... but I have an old UNIVAC that isn't working too well. Coulda ya fix that?

4:23 AM  
Blogger Cyphoid said...

I might make an exception for the C64, on a purely "coolness" basis.

8:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home