Tuesday, September 13, 2005

The end of Ages

Yea, verily, after many long years it has been completed. I think that it was in 1997 that the world of Myst was placed before me on our 486 computer. And now in 2005, having completed Myst before, I have ventured through the sequel to Myst, Riven, and finished it. After many stints of gathering information and failing miserably, I sat down and connected the dots in order to unravel the hidden trails of betrayal and to wrap up the tail ends that both Myst and Riven had looming over them.

I feel all tingly inside.

Yet, I could not help but feel empty inside, also. Like a large thing on my ToDo list was removed. Since it wrapped up so nicely and mysteriously, it felt like the end of it all. Then I remembered that I had to also finish Myst III: Exile, Myst IV: Revelation, URU: Ages Beyond Myst, Uru expansions: To D'ni and The Path of the Shell, and Myst V: End of Ages, which is to come out on September 25(?) and wrap up the whole series.

At the current rate, I should be done with them all in 24 years. My mind is a little stronger than it was when I was ten, so I am hoping that it will not taking that long.

But, wahoo, that felt good. After spending 3 days puzzling over a gigantic waffle iron and the multi-colored raisins that you have to put in to make the perfect waffle, It felt good to finally bake that waffle and use the excess steam to power the linking books and get out of there.

I was sparked to complete my journey by the sad news that Cyan was closing due to financial reasons. People just aren't into adventure games anymore. They would rather play one of the hundreds of no name FPSes on the shelves of Walmart. Stupid n00bs playing their games. Pandas.
And thus, the ending of an age. I doubt that a rival to the Myst series, with all of its diversity and the elegance and simpleness, will come to be in the near future, if ever. Especially with the current trends of low tolerance for actual art and passion for games.


"And now I am at rest, understanding that in books, and ages, and life, the ending can never truely be written."

2 Comments:

Blogger nayrb said...

Yeah? Sounds like a cool game. I had an chance to see it at a friends house, but I've myst-ed that chance.

3:52 PM  
Blogger heidi said...

I got all mysty eyed just reading that. I guess you have myst Myst a lot. I mean, missed Myst.
I hope you don't miss any other myst games because of heavy myst.

7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home